Critical Infrastructure Protection Course
The S2 Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) Course is designed to prepare security professionals for assignments involving the protection of critical process facilities against sabotage and terrorist violence. This program provides a detailed exploration of risk management methods for critical infrastructure sites, adversary methods, and essential skills and knowledge necessary for developing effective security and emergency readiness programs.
The information presented in the S2 Critical Infrastructure Protection course reflects best practices in security management, anti-terrorism, physical security, and emergency preparation as may be applied to a wide range of critical infrastructure facilities. The measures presented in this course are based on the instructor’s decades of experience working as a security consultant for critical infrastructure organizations, critical evaluation of hundreds of terrorist attacks, and analysis of methods for protecting process facilities pioneered by organizations throughout the world.
Summary of topics include:
Adversaries and Threats to Critical Infrastructure • Risk Assessment Methodology • Process Analysis and Critical Asset Identification • Threat Assessment & Design Basis Threat Design • Risk Management Strategy & Critical Infrastructure • Operations Security & Protective Counterintelligence • Physical Security Design and Access Control Planning • Blast Mitigation and Process Facility Design • Protection Against Projected Charge Weapon and IEMI Threats • Emergency Response Planning & Infrastructure Design • Response to Armed Assaults • Bomb Threat Management • Suspect IED & VBIED Response • Post-Blast Response
- Recognizing risks associated with critical infrastructure including an in-depth understanding of contemporary terrorist modus operandi and methods of covert sabotage used by state-directed adversaries.
- Understanding technical characteristics of explosive events, IEMI threats, and ballistic weapons necessary for designing effective protective measures.
- Assessing facility risks and utilizing risk management principles in security planning, including:
- Understanding risk management principles and the function of risk assessment in security planning.
- Recognizing important characteristics of security related risk
- Conducting security assessments by utilizing qualitative risk assessment methodology.
- Designing prioritized security countermeasures strategies by utilizing cost-benefit analysis techniques.
- Implementing Operations Security (OPSEC) and protective counterintelligence principles to impair terrorists’ ability to gather target intelligence.
- Designing and specifying physical security measures for effective performance against terrorist armed attack and IED delivery scenarios.
- Developing effective entry control measures for validating, screening, and searching entrants at facility entry points.
- Identifying hazardous devices, possible device components, and risks associated with hazardous devices.
- Designing and specifying protective measures and facility improvements for mitigation of projected charge weapon, IED, and IEMI attacks.
- Recognizing indications of terrorist attack or impending sabotage events.
- Developing a facility-level Incident Command System and designing effective infrastructure to support emergency response operations.
- Developing safe and effective procedures for responding to a full spectrum of terrorist attack and sabotage scenarios.
"In all of my travels and training, military and civilian, I rarely have the pleasure of encountering such professional instructors and presentations. The knowledge possessed and demonstrated by the instructor staff sets the bar for all civilian training agencies to follow…"
Advanced Training Section, U.S. SOCOM
“The instructor knew all the subjects like the back of his hand…A+++!"
SMSgt G. Enwright
Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, USAF
"The class met all of my expectations and even more."
National Bank of Romania
"I have had a few terrorism / anti-terrorism classes, but none have come close to the intensity and historical background as the S2 course. Your course is what every law enforcement officer should be taking."
U.S. Department of Treasury
"Really excellent. A lot of practical advice that one can use in one's everyday work. Excellent."
"I thought this course was very well done. The topics very relevant and up to date with what is currently going on. This is definitely a "must take" course for anyone dealing with physical security/anti-terrorism matters."
U.S. Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine
"Very interesting course! The in-depth instruction is very high and the knowledge of the instructor is amazing. I think this course is a must for even people already active in the spectrum."
The Swatch Group
"This course triggered my deepest interests. Craig is a superb instructor due to his experience and appearance as an expert."
Government of the Netherlands
"Very relevant and a must for security professionals in the emerging dynamic services. The program is targeted to address all of the major contemporary security issues globally."
Dr. A. Acidah
Nigeria LNG Limited
“Great stuff! Presentation was of high standard…I personally give thanks to S2 for the opportunity. Thank You!”
U.S. Customs Anti-Narcotic Unit
Chief, USAF Security Forces Programs & Requirements Branch
“I think this course is really excellent. I have been involved in AT matters for a number of years, however, I found many new and valuable insights.”
J. Dos Santos
IBM Pacific Asia
“I am an intelligence and security professional with 40 years of experience in the field. I am currently the principal Analytical Risk Management instructor for the DoD Joint Counterintelligence Academy and taught the subject for CIA et al for some four years prior…I mention this to emphasize Mr. Gundry's evident expertise in the subject and the fact that old guys like me still have much to learn from others.”
US DoD | Beta Analytics International
“The course is given in a very professional manner. Will highly recommend this course!”
Ministry of Justice, Netherlands
“The class is totally useful and helpful. The instructor is amazing...Perfect. One of the best courses I have ever taken in my professional career.”
Gen. M. Ebeid
American University in Cairo
“Excellent instruction. Very interesting course and professionally presented.”
Walt Disney Corporation
"The instructor was very knowledgeable and experienced. The course was well prepared and presented.”
“This course takes anti-terrorism theory and puts it in a practical perspective. I would rate it very high against the other anti-terrorism training I have had.”
U.S. DOJ, Federal Bureau of Prisons
“The best training I’ve ever had. Extraordinary trainer. Extremely important.”
“I wanted to congratulate and strongly encourage you to continue to raise the bar...my job responsibilities require continuous and active education and training and I must say that your ATO course is one, if not the best I have ever taken.”
A. Baez, M.D.
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
“Mr. Gundry is an outstanding instructor who displays a deep understanding of his subject, who keeps the interest of the students and created a solid course”
Central Intelligence Agency
"I thought that the course materials and additional handouts provided with the course were extremely well put together and will be useful long after completing the course. In addition, the instructor was very knowledgeable of AT/FP principles and presented the information in a clear and concise manner. This course was well worth the time and money invested.”
Booz Allen Hamilton
"..helpful for the project I participate in. The instructor was proficient and enthusiastic, with loads of practical experience. Very motivating!"
Netherlands Forensic Institute
“Excellent, comprehensive course. Mr. Gundry is very knowledgeable and is an excellent instructor. I highly recommend this course to other security and AT professionals.”
U.S. Coast Guard