Anti-Terrorism and Diplomatic Security Course
The S2 Anti-Terrorism and Diplomatic Security training course is designed to prepare Regional Security Officers for assignments involving the protection of diplomatic facilities against terrorist attack. This program provides a detailed exploration of contemporary terrorist methods and essential skills and knowledge necessary for managing terrorism-related risks against diplomatic missions.
The information presented in this course reflects best practices in anti-terrorism, physical security, and emergency preparation as specifically applicable to Ministry of Foreign Affairs facilities. The measures presented in this course are based on the instructor’s decades of experience assisting organizations in managing risks of terrorist violence, critical evaluation of hundreds of terrorist attacks, and analysis of methods for managing terrorism-related threats pioneered by diplomatic security services throughout the world.
The basic 5-day version of the Anti-Terrorism and Diplomatic Security training course explores the threat of terrorism and effective security measures for protecting diplomatic facilities. The 8-day advanced version of this program includes an added day of training in personnel security and special events, and two days of in-class exercises focusing on risk and vulnerability assessment methods.
Summary of topics in the basic-level course include:
Diplomatic Security and The Terrorist Threat • Dynamics of Terrorist Attacks • Advanced IED Threat M.O. • Chem-Bio Terrorism • AT Countermeasures & Security Risk Management Concepts • Protective Counterintelligence and Operations Security • Physical Security Design and Entry Control Planning for Diplomatic Missions • Blast & Weapons Effects Mitigation • Mail Security Planning • Emergency Response Planning & Infrastructure Design • Response to Armed Attacks • Bomb Threat Management • Suspect IED & VBIED Response • Post-Blast Response • CBRN Attack Response
See the outline below for a detailed description of diplomatic security training topics encompassed in both versions of the program.
- Recognizing current trends and risks associated with terrorism against diplomatic missions including an in-depth understanding of contemporary terrorist modus operandi.
- Understanding technical characteristics of explosive events, CBRN weapons, and ballistic weapons necessary for designing effective protective measures.
- Identifying security requirements essential to reducing terrorism-related risk against diplomatic facilities.
- Assessing facility risks and utilizing risk management principles in security planning and emergency preparation.
- Implementing Operations Security (OPSEC) and protective counterintelligence principles to impair terrorists’ ability to gather target intelligence.
- Designing and specifying physical security measures for effective performance against terrorist armed attack and IED delivery scenarios.
- Developing effective entry control measures for validating, screening, and searching entrants at entry points.
- Identifying hazardous devices, possible device components, and risks associated with hazardous devices.
- Designing and specifying protective measures and facility improvements for mitigation of projected charge weapon, IED, and chem-bio attacks.
- Developing an effective mail screening program.
- Recognizing indications of terrorist attack or impending terrorist events.
- Developing an Incident Command System and designing effective infrastructure to support emergency response operations at the mission-level.
- Developing safe and effective procedures for responding to a full spectrum of terrorist attack scenarios against diplomatic facilities.
"In all of my travels and training, military and civilian, I rarely have the pleasure of encountering such professional instructors and presentations. The knowledge possessed and demonstrated by the instructor staff sets the bar for all civilian training agencies to follow…"
Advanced Training Section, U.S. SOCOM
“The instructor knew all the subjects like the back of his hand…A+++!"
SMSgt G. Enwright
Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, USAF
"The class met all of my expectations and even more."
National Bank of Romania
"I have had a few terrorism / anti-terrorism classes, but none have come close to the intensity and historical background as the S2 course. Your course is what every law enforcement officer should be taking."
U.S. Department of Treasury
"Really excellent. A lot of practical advice that one can use in one's everyday work. Excellent."
"I thought this course was very well done. The topics very relevant and up to date with what is currently going on. This is definitely a "must take" course for anyone dealing with physical security/anti-terrorism matters."
U.S. Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine
"Very interesting course! The in-depth instruction is very high and the knowledge of the instructor is amazing. I think this course is a must for even people already active in the spectrum."
The Swatch Group
"Very relevant and a must for security professionals in the emerging dynamic services. The program is targeted to address all of the major contemporary security issues globally."
Dr. A. Acidah
Nigeria LNG Limited
“Great stuff! Presentation was of high standard…I personally give thanks to S2 for the opportunity. Thank You!”
U.S. Customs Anti-Narcotic Unit
“I think this course is really excellent. I have been involved in AT matters for a number of years, however, I found many new and valuable insights.”
J. Dos Santos
IBM Pacific Asia
“The course is given in a very professional manner. Will highly recommend this course!”
Ministry of Justice, Netherlands
“The class is totally useful and helpful. The instructor is amazing...Perfect. One of the best courses I have ever taken in my professional career.”
Gen. M. Ebeid
American University in Cairo
“Excellent instruction. Very interesting course and professionally presented.”
Walt Disney Corporation
"The instructor was very knowledgeable and experienced. The course was well prepared and presented.”
“This course takes anti-terrorism theory and puts it in a practical perspective. I would rate it very high against the other anti-terrorism training I have had.”
U.S. DOJ, Federal Bureau of Prisons
“The best training I’ve ever had. Extraordinary trainer. Extremely important.”
“I wanted to congratulate and strongly encourage you to continue to raise the bar...my job responsibilities require continuous and active education and training and I must say that your ATO course is one, if not the best I have ever taken.”
A. Baez, M.D.
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
"Mr. Gundry has to be one of the most knowledgable instructors on terrorism in the country. He lives and breathes anti-terrorism.”
Palm Beach County Sheriff's Dept.
"I found this course to be extremely informative and thorough...The course is excellent the way it's presented."
U.S. Dept of Defense
"The overall course was excellent. I would recommend other personnel within security and emergency services to take it."
U.S. Department of State